Wildfires are bigger, burn longer, cause more damage, and kill more people than ever before. This new reality requires greatly expanding prevention, preparedness, and fuel-reduction efforts throughout Marin. The Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority (MWPA) is a coalition of local fire agencies, emergency service providers, and cities, towns, and county government being formed to support the development and implementation of a comprehensive wildfire prevention and emergency preparedness initiative.
- Improving emergency alert and warning systems to enhance early alert for organized evacuations
- Expanding coordinated efforts to reduce combustible plants and vegetation
- Improving evacuation routes and infrastructure to enhance traffic flow and promote safe evacuations
- Expanding and enhancing defensible space and home evaluations and educating homeowners about how to reduce the vulnerability of their home and neighborhood to wildfire
- Providing grants and support to seniors, persons with disabilities, and low-income homeowners who need assistance maintaining a defensible space, making homes fire resistant, reducing combustible vegetation, and preparing for emergencies
- Creating and sustaining a coordinated local wildfire public safety and disaster preparedness program
- Supporting residents to establish Firewise USA programs in neighborhoods through ongoing public education
Bringing a Local Wildfire Prevention Initiative to Reality
- Marin’s fire agencies, cities, towns, and county government are currently working to form the MWPA and develop a coordinated program for wildfire prevention.
- To be successful, a stable source of locally-controlled funding dedicated to wildfire prevention and public safety is required.
- A countywide parcel tax measure is under consideration for the March 2020 election to provide dedicated funding for the MWPA program.
Learn more at www.marinwildfire.org