Here’s a UC Marin Master Gardener fire-smart landscaping tip for August:
- Remove dead plants and debris.
- Keep a vigilant eye on plants that may be suffering from drought. If too drought damaged, a plant may not recover and will need to be removed.
- Within 5 feet of the perimeter of structures on your property, move wood mulch or foundation plants to other locations on the property.
- Keep your irrigation system in good condition to optimize water distribution to plants.
- Hand watering before 9 am when it’s cool is an option when irrigation is not optimized and water is restricted.
- Limit replacement plantings to climate appropriate plants such as California native species, and plants native to Mediterranean summer dry climates.
- Do not wet down your property on Red Flag warning days. Water as normal.
- Clearly mark all emergency (and other) water sources.
- Create easy firefighter access to your closest emergency water source and provide extra hoses.
For more information on fire-smart landscaping, see http://marinmg.ucanr.edu/BASICS/FIRESMARTLANDSCAPING/