Home Evaluation Tip
Tree limbs must not extend into roadways or driveways and must be limbed to provide at least 15′ of unobstructed vertical clearance above the improved road surface. Property owners are responsible for maintaining roadside vegetation, even in the public right-of-way.
How does driveway and roadside maintenance help you?
In Marin, there are several homes located within the wildland urban interface (WUI) with minimal road access points or steep, narrow roads. Properly maintaining vegetation near your driveway and along the roadsides abutting your property will improve the evacuation paths for you and your family and provide easier and safer access to first responders.
Maintenance is required year-round.
What do I do about it?
- Limb up trees (or remove branches) to provide at least 15′ of unobstructed vertical clearance above the improved road surface.
- Work safely. In some cases, it may be smart to ask for expert advice from a licensed tree contractor.
- Sign up for Chipper Days for free vegetation removal.
- Fire-Smart Landscaping: Maintaining a Healthy Landscape in the Face of Drought & Water Restrictions
- Fire Adapted Communities
- Ecologically Sound Practices for Defensible Space