As we head into spring and summer, there are lots of easy ways for you to prepare for wildfire season. Here are 7 tips to lower your wildfire risk:
- Protect your home from embers, clear needles, leaves, and other debris from roofs, gutters, porches, and decks.
- Screen your vents to reduce ignitions. Install metal mesh screening in attic and crawl space vents to reduce potential wildfire ignitions.
- Move firewood piles at least 30 ft away from buildings. They can ignite from wildfire embers and then spread to your home.
- When wildfire threatens on Red Flag Days, remove all flammable outdoor items from your decks and porches, such as cushions, doormats, and portable propane tanks.
- Maintain the landscaping around your home, keep lawns mowed and hydrated. Dry grasses and shrubs are easily ignited by wildfires.
- Plan two ways out of your neighborhood and designate a meeting place before a wildfire threatens your area.
- Plan for your pets. Pets are part of the family so make sure your wildfire evacuation plan includes them.
Thanks to the NFPA for these tips. Go to firesafemarin.org to learn more ways to get prepared for wildfire.