Post-fire studies have shown that between 60 and 90% of homes that ignite during a wildfire are caused, either directly or indirectly, by burning embers. You can lower the risk of your home igniting by creating an ember-resistant zone in the first 5 feet of your home.
Here are 5 rules for creating an ember-resistant zone:
- Use hardscape like gravel, pavers, and other non-combustible mulch materials
- Relocate firewood outside this zone
- Limit combustible items (outdoor furniture, planters, etc.) on top of decks
- Consider relocating garbage and recycling containers outside this zone
- Remove all branches within 10 feet of any chimney or stovepipe outlet
Learn more at www.firesafemarin.org/create-a-fire-smart-yard