Attention Building Industry Professionals! Join Fire Safe Marin for a FREE 4-hour seminar on wildfire home-hardening.
- 1PM Doors Open - Meet Manufacturers and Installers
- 2PM-4PM Seminar for Building Professionals
- 4PM-5PM Manufacturer Showcase and Live Burn Demo
Recognizing that home-hardening through improved architectural design, ember and ignition resistant material selection, and retrofitting existing buildings are the most important factors in improving home survival during wildfires, Fire Safe Marin has developed a seminar and training curriculum to introduce building professionals to these concepts.
Taught by experts in the field of building science, home hardening, and wildfire, this seminar is intended for building industry professionals to:
- Train the contractor, handyman, architect, and owner/builder to recognize structural vulnerabilities to wildfires and embers;
- Introduce ignition and ember resistant designs and materials;
- Provide home-hardening and retrofitting resources;
- Encourage building modifications to reduce the likelihood of structural ignitions during wildfires;
- Develop a list of contractors to provide Marin homeowners with access to knowledgeable professionals
Weather permitting, a live fire demonstration will be conducted at 5PM to demonstrate the differences between ordinary and fire-resistant construction.
WHAT DOES “Home HARDENING” MEAN?
"Hoime Hardening" describes a building or structure that is designed, built, or retrofitted to resist ignition from wildfires and embers. While no home is "fireproof," simple and often inexpensive materials, designs, and techniques can address the most vulnerable components of a house to increase resistance to heat, flames, and embers from wildfires.
Stephen L. Quarles, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist for Wildfire and Durability (retired)
Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS)
Executive Coordinator, Fire Safe Marin
Wildfire Hazard Mitigation and Vegetation management Consultant
Fire Inspector, Kentfield Fire Protection District
Fire Safe Marin has partnered with CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA insurer, to bring building professionals the most up-to-date knowledge on home-hardening for wildfire. CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer, offers automobile, homeowners and other personal lines of insurance to AAA Members through AAA clubs in 23 states and the District of Columbia.
Manufacturer and Installer Showcase
The following manufacturers will be on-hand to discuss their innovative WUI approved building products:
Schedule of Events
- Doors open at 1PM to meet manufacturers (early showcase)
- Seminar for Building Professionals 2-4 PM
- Showcase for professionals 4-5 PM
- LIVE BURN 5PM, all welcome..
- Public showcase, meet manufacturers 5-6 PM
- Seminar for Homeowners 6-7:30 PM