Attention Marin Homeowners! Join Fire Safe Marin for a FREE 2-hour seminar on wildfire home-hardening.
- 5 PM Live Burn Demo and Manufacturer Showcase
- 6 PM-7:30 PM Seminar for Homeowners
Recognizing that home-hardening through improved architectural design, ember and ignition resistant material selection, and retrofitting existing buildings are the most important factors in improving home survival during wildfires, Fire Safe Marin has developed a seminar and training curriculum to introduce homeowners to these concepts.
Taught by experts in the field of wildfire, home hardening, and building science, this seminar will help Marin homeowners to:
- Identify their home’s vulnerabilities to wildfires and embers;
- Introduce ignition and ember resistant design and materials;
- Provide home-hardening and retrofitting resources;
- Encourage building modifications to reduce the likelihood of structural ignitions during wildfires;
- Manufacturer representatives will be on-site to display fire resistant building materials.
Weather permitting, a live fire demonstration will be conducted at 5PM to demonstrate the differences between ordinary and fire-resistant construction.
WHAT DO THE PHRASES “FIRE HARDENED” AND “HARDENING HOMES” MEAN?
"Fire hardened" describes a building or structure that is prepared for wildfire and an ember storm. It does not mean fireproof. Home hardening addresses the most vulnerable components of your house with building materials and installation techniques that increase resistance to heat, flames, and embers that accompany wildfires.
Stephen L. Quarles, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist for Wildfire and Durability (retired)
Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS)
Executive Coordinator, Fire Safe Marin
Wildfire Hazard Mitigation and Vegetation management Consultant
Fire Inspector, Kentfield Fire Protection District
Fire Safe Marin has partnered with CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA insurer, to bring building professionals the most up-to-date knowledge on home-hardening for wildfire.
Manufacturer and Installer Showcase
The following manufacturers will be on-hand to discuss their innovative WUI approved building products:
Schedule of Events
- Doors open at 1PM to meet manufacturers (early showcase)
- Seminar for Building Professionals 2-4 PM
- Showcase for professionals 4-5 PM
- LIVE BURN 5PM, all welcome..
- Public showcase, meet manufacturers 5-6 PM
- Seminar for Homeowners 6-7:30 PM