Take the time to clean up your property, especially close to structures. These steps are good preparation for the rainy season as well as peak fire season.
- Clear leaf and needle litter from gutters, roof, eaves, and around vents, chimney, and the foundation (in “Zone Zero”)
- Clear branches 10 feet from the chimney and from the roof
- Rake-up excess fallen leaves and evergreen needles
- Remove dead vegetation, dead wood from trees and shrubs, and cut dry grasses to less than 4 inches long
- While looking around, check plants for drought stress – healthy plants are more resilient
For more Fire-smart Landscaping information, visit: http://marinmg.ucanr.edu/BASICS/FIRESMARTLANDSCAPING/
Contact: Marin Master Gardeners at HelpDesk@marinmg.org