As you prep your yard for the fall season, here are some maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Clear leaf and needle litter in areas including: under decks, around gutters, roof, eaves, vents, and chimney.
- Clear tree branches to be at least 10 feet from the chimney.
- Prune trees and shrubs to open the structure and increase space between plants both vertically and horizontally.
- Remove dead vegetation, dry grasses, and dead wood from trees and shrubs.
- Check plants for drought stress. Hydrated plants stay healthy and fare better when exposed to high heat.
- Mowing can kick up rocks that cause sparks & fires, especially on hot dry days, better to mow during cooler and/or foggy days. Have a hose ready.
- To keep plants healthier, apply no more than a 2” layer of appropriate mulch. This will feed the soil and retain more moisture, keeping soil temperatures more even.
Find more fire smart landscaping information at the UC Marin Master Gardener Website:
https://ucanr.edu/ucmarinmgfiresmart & https://ucanr.edu/ucmarinmgirrigation