This spring as you prepare for wildfire season, consider these fire-smart landscaping tips from UC Marin Master Gardeners to maintain exit routes from your home.
- Identify the best escape routes to get to your vehicle and then for your vehicle to leave your property. Routes with less vegetation are safer.
- Assess the health and condition of the plants along each route. Keep vegetation maintained – pruned and hydrated.
- Remove or move combustible materials from your exits e.g., jute doormats, wood planters, furniture etc.
- Remove dead plant material and debris.
- Remove vines near doors or windows.
- Replace wood gates, arbors, or trellises near exit routes with metal.
- Have evacuation signs ready to post at home exits in the event you must evacuate. This alerts fire personnel that you have left the property. (Check with your local fire department for signs.)
FOR MORE FIRE-SMART LANDSCAPING INFORMATION VISIT MARIN MASTER GARDENER WEBSITE.